30 Day Writing Challenge: Day Fourteen

Someone who has made my life worth living

Again, I'm not entirely sure how to answer this. There have been so many people in my life that have made life a little easier, a little better, a little brighter, a little...more than it should be. My mother, for one, is an inspiration all on her own. At times, she worked 3 jobs just to make ends meet, but she always made life something to look forward to. She survived 3 miscarriages, 2 daughters, one divorce, an abusive relationship, fleeting romances, countless moves, several dead end jobs, broken limbs, scratched knees, huge fights, even bigger disappointments, being completely broke and overdrawn, and overall a very hard life. Through it all, she never let on how hard it was on her.

My sister gave me hope. We never had a good relationship when we were younger (in fact, we took sibling rivalry to the extremes at most times), but around her 18th birthday, we really got to know each other. Of course, it wasn't really hard -- we were both alone in Austria with no one to turn to but each other in the hours we didn't spend talking to friends online. But what really impressed me about my sister (and also scared me half to death at the time) was the fact that she had brain surgery and went on to recover beautifully. She experienced loss of sight, seizures, fainting spells, delusions, hysteria and loss of peripheral vision. She went under the scalpel in December 2003 and spent a few months at home recovering. She sported a long incision with staples puckering out of her scalp for those few months, her hair shaved down short. I'll never forget the hours we spent waiting in the hospital to hear how the surgery to remove the blood clot went. Sheer terror, and then relief. Now, she's expecting a baby this June after nearly 3 years of marriage. She gives me the hope that when bad things happen in life, people can still pull out of them well.

My best friends, Kaytee, Hannah and Casper all make my world go round. Without them, I wouldn't know what friendship really is. Without them, I'd be lost in a fantasy world. They, like my sister and mother, have been through crazy lives, with things like pregnancies, moves, depression and near-death peppering their existence. But through it all, they can still smile, still laugh, still have hope and courage and love. They still know that things will work out for them.

My boyfriend, Eric, is my shining light. And I know, it's sappy, but it's true. I know that when I have something to say or get off my chest, he's there to listen. We don't shy away from telling each other the truth: In fact, we don't have those kinds of secrets. I know on my part, at least, that when I talk to him, I am myself. Things that I would never say to someone else I can say to him. If I write something and then think it's too silly or stupid, I just shrug it off and say: "He knows me. He won't care." And it's true. I accept him for who he is, no matter what happens, what he does or says. It's comforting, knowing that there's someone in this world that I can fight with and know that we'll get through it. Hell, we've had almost 8 years of practice.

I don't even have to mention my family. Their support has been invaluable to me throughout the years.

That is what makes my life worth living. These people. I love them, and I need them.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

--Cassy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The time has come

I realize it's been a while...

Closing in on me