30 Day Writing Challenge: Day Twelve

Something I hope to change about myself and why

I've never put a lot of thought into changing myself. Sure, I've had the odd kick now and then: lose weight, get in shape, better diet, stricter hygiene routine, clean my room, be nicer, etc. etc. etc. ... But they've all passed, either due to my lack of strong will to actually do these things or because I talked to a friend and realized I didn't need to.

I don't think people should change themselves unless it is absolutely dire. Telling an obese child they need to run and play and get in shape isn't trying to demean the child, although people might see it that way, it's trying to make it healthy and with that health comes happiness, because maybe it'll feel better and avoid early onset diabetes. Telling someone to stop smoking isn't trying to hurt them, it's trying to help them.

Of course, people try and change others all the time without any thought to the person's feelings. Americans trample cultures when they invade countries, as did the British and the French and the Spanish before them (in America itself, no less -- wonder where we learned it from?). Wives are constantly trying to change the way their husbands personalities, trying to make them stop bad habits, but they never realize that it's the habits they fell in love with. If you can put up with bad habits for however long it took you TO fall in love, you can put up with them long after you're married.

But I'm getting off topic.

I don't want to change anything about myself, because I am comfortable as I am now. My boyfriend hasn't tried to tell me to get my act together and change, and I won't do that to him, either. I wouldn't ever dream of telling my best friends they need to change their acts because that's exactly what makes them them. If we all changed and became out version of perfect, we wouldn't be the people we are now, and those people are truly good.

So, in actuality I can't answer this question the way they probably envisioned it being answered. I don't wish to change myself because I don't see the need.

--Cassy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The time has come

I realize it's been a while...

Closing in on me