30 Day Writing Challenge: Day Fifteen

A band/musical artist whose music has impacted my life

I have to say that this would be Good Charlotte. It is my absolute favorite band. To understand why, I'd have to start with how I found them:

I was home alone during the summer in Austria, watching MTV, because it was the only channel that had English programs that were worth seeing (I wasn't much of a fan of CNN back when I was 12). The shows were over for the moment, but I decided to just leave MTV on because I didn't feel like tackling Austrian shows just yet. I don't remember many of the songs that were playing, but I do know that when Good Charlotte's "Predictable" came on, I was glued to the TV. It wasn't just the music, it was the whacked video that did me in. It was rock, it was deep, it was awesome.

Later, I went on the computer and tried to find the band that had mesmerized me. It didn't take long, and soon I was the proud owner of the Young & the Hopeless. I fell in love, plain and simple. The band had a myriad of songs, one for every occasion, every emotion. I loved listening to the album over and over again.

Then Chronicles came out and it was a new sound. Different from their last album, but great all the same. It took me to new levels of music and it was comforting to know that even though their sound had changed, their message hadn't.

Good Morning Revival was totally different than the last two. It was a lot more mainstream than I had hoped, but I can't say I didn't enjoy listening to it. By then, my taste in music had developed past pop punk to a little bit of everything. I was surprised, but not unpleased, to find that I could still get into their music.

And then Cardiology came out. I went nuts the moment I listened to it. So many feelings, so much of themselves and all of their fans went into that album. Parts of their lives, their histories were dedicated to each song. Harlow's Song (I Can't Dream Without You) and 1979 were big hits, as well as Last Night, and my personal favorite, Sex on the Radio. They had mixed almost every one of their albums into one, which was like Heaven for a listener.

I realize I forgot to mention their debut album, Good Charlotte (Self-titled). I had actually heard Good Charlotte songs before my discovery in 2003, thanks to my sister's late night music habit back in the States. I hadn't realized that I already loved them (I didn't know what band it was at the time, and I wasn't really into music at that point in my life, other than what I happened to hear on the radio or what CDs my mom and sister had), or that I could already practically sing the songs without the music playing. It was comforting to know that I'd loved them even before I really knew them.

Good Charlotte has been my fall-back since I found them. If I don't know what I'm in the mood to hear, I pick Good Charlotte. If I'm going through a tough time, a happy time, a sad time, an angry moment, I'll pick some songs that reflect my mood or deter me from it. Good Charlotte is an all-around band, one that's never out of style and will never stop being a band I can look to for guidance or cheering up.

Much of that has to do with the memories of the concerts I've gone to. One in the summer of 2006, and one January of this year. Both of them were completely different experiences, and yet they were the same. In 2006, I went to the open air concert with my mother, rocked out to every single song (got a few looks from the people standing next to me, in fact). I didn't know all the words to all the songs, but I made due with what I knew (it was their European GMR tour and I hadn't had the chance to buy the album yet, unfortunately). I swear (as does my mother) that Joel smiled and waved at me during the concert, which made my decade.

The second concert was, as I said, just this year. I bought the ticket (went by myself this time), went there, waited outside in the blistering cold for two hours to be let in. Gave my jacket and purse up, bought a T-Shirt (because I wasn't letting the opportunity pass me up once again), and went into the large concert hall, securing my place in the second row. It was a long wait for the concert to start, the opening band was good, but it was nothing compared to when Good Charlotte finally came on. From the moment they stepped on stage, all Hell broke loose in the crowd.

I maintain that no one knows how to do a concert better than Good Charlotte (of course, I've only been to Good Charlotte and Fall Out Boy, so what do I know?). Good Charlotte doesn't just play the songs from a list, they play the songs for the fans. They expect us to know the words, they make us jump and scream and sing and dance and yell and have fun. They talk to us, get to know us, ask us questions and make jokes. I could go on and on about their concert and the experience it was for me, but I don't want to make this longer than it shoulder be. All I'll say is: Joel Madden jumped off the stage and thrust himself into the crowd and gave me a kiss on the cheek. No lie. I could've died.

After the concert, I waited in the cold again for another hour and a half for the band to come out. I got signatures and pictures from everyone in the band, except Joel, unfortunately, because he was sick. I got to talk to Paul a little longer than everyone else and he promised he'd be in New York this summer for a special concert. ^^

This is why Good Charlotte has impacted my life: They're not just any old band who signs an autograph and takes a picture. They actually go out of their way to talk to you, make you feel special.

As I watched the bus drive away (twice, actually, because I caught it again in front of the hall on my way home), I felt really good. It made my year, that concert. I love Good Charlotte, and I wish I could go to all their concerts. If I could, I would.

--Cassy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The time has come

I realize it's been a while...

Closing in on me