Book Review: Sophie & Carter

Book:      Sophie & Carter
Author:    Chelsea Fine
Link:        Amazon.com: Sophie & Carter

Summary:

Sophie and Carter live in the bad part of town. Sophie's mother is never around to take care of her four children, so the job falls to Sophie until the kids run out of money. Carter takes care of his mentally unstable mother so the state won't take her away from him. They're seniors in high school, minutes away from graduation and life is starting to weigh down on them. Their only escape is sitting on the swinging bench on Sophie's front porch at night together, talking about everything and nothing at all. At school, they pretend not to know each other to make their lives a little easier. Who needs high school drama when your life is slowly falling apart at the seems? All Sophie and Carter need is each other to hold on to so they don't fall off the edge.

Review:

I started reading this book with high expectations. Amazon reviewers praised it, the summary sounded interesting and I'm a sucker for teenage love -- especially if there's a picture of crisp white t's and blue jeans on the cover. At first, I was a little annoyed with the style of writing. First person POV, present tense, characters personified through their font style instead of through their writing. But after the first few pages, I forgot about all that and got into it. Really into it, in fact. The characters were sympathetic, they seemed real. I felt I could easily fall into the role of Sophie, living next door to a kind and gentle Carter, I could see myself falling in love.

And thus began the downfall of the book. I got so wrapped up in the characters and the story and the intricacies of it all that I couldn't put it down until it was over. Which, I discovered quickly, was far too soon for my liking. All in all, I loved the book until it ended, because it ended. I felt there could have been a little more meat on the bones of that book, but maybe it's just me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The time has come

I realize it's been a while...

Closing in on me